So I did it. I hit publish and my first novel is out on Amazon. It feels really good and also a little scary.
- Some of the earlier chapters I hadn’t read in months. I’m more of an ‘edit a chapter as I get done with it and then move on’ kind of writer. It was fun to see the waffling of style choices as I went with quoted italics for thoughts in the beginning and later dropped the quotes near the middle. I had to clean all that up.
- There were 12 instances of calling poor Nalani, ‘Nalini’. I remember that stretch of writing where I’d taken a break and came back and, for the life of me, I kept getting her name wrong even though I do have an outline with all the peoples’ names listed. I thought I’d found all the mistakes and corrected them. LOL! I was wrong.
- I like using ‘stand up’ a lot. For future reference, it’s ok to say ‘he stood’ without the ‘up’.
- I had 44 instances of two spaces in a row even though I’ve long gotten used to only one space after ending punctuation. I’m old, but not too old to learn new tricks, thank you very much! So where did all those come from? I blame aliens!
- The word count came to 102,435 give or take a few depending on ebook or print format since I do some hyperlink cleanup for the print version. (Sheesh, they haven’t invented click on paper to bring up web pages yet?)
To buy the book (it’s free if you are in Kindle Unlimited!), click this link: http://a.co/j1BgKgo
I also have an Instafreebie promotion where you can read the first three chapters for free to see if you want to buy it. (Same as viewing the Look Inside on Amazon).
Just my book sample:
A giveaway I joined with other fantasy books that might be cool too: https://www.instafreebie.com/free/KGibxnCCigvDiFmaQDQI